Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

domingo, 23 de octubre de 2011

Mexico

I went on a visa trip to Mexico this weekend.  At first, I wasn't too excited about going, mostly because I had  to go and it wasn't by my own choice, but then, a few weeks ago, one of my co-workers corrected me on it, reminded me that getting to go is really a blessing.  A school-paid vacation.  Something that could end up being really, really fun.

So I started to work on adjusting my attitude, telling myself I don't have to go, I get to.  And, honestly, it started to work.  I don't know why I had been viewing these trips so negatively.  I didn't really have any legitimate reason for not wanting to go...

Then the last three weeks happened, and having a break to go somewhere began to sound very appealing. 

The last three weeks have been stressful.  Very much so.  And getting out of town this time around was just what I needed.  A chance to see different sights, breathe different air.  Just get away so I could come back rejuvenated.

So we went to Mexico. 

There is something about riding on a bus, staring out the window at the scenery rolling by, that is conducive to thinking.  And praying.  And sorting things out.

On this trip, one of the teachers played some songs from her iPod.  Songs about God's faithfulness in the midst of our troubles.  Songs like "through it all, through it all, I've learned to trust in Jesus, I've learned to trust in God..."  And I found myself taking a walk through the past, remembering.  All the trials, all the struggles...and realizing that they do fit together and that no matter what happens in the future, there is no reason to be afraid.  He will still be there.

And Mexico itself was great.  I went to Sam's Club.  I went to Walmart.  I walked around in an air-conditioned mall.  I sat around a pool.  I ate lunch at a park.  And it was sunny.  And it was warm.  I ate a lot of food, visited with lots of people...and how can I even begin to describe the hotel showers?  Someone told me before I left that it's worth going to Mexico just for the hotel's showers.  At first, I thought she was exaggerating, but then I got there and found out what she was talking about...everything about it was perfect.  Perfect amount of water.  Perfect water pressure.  All coming out of the shower head at just the right temperature...I felt like I was stepping out of a spa by the time the shower ended.  And then, to top it all off, the room wasn't cold when I turned off the shower.  (It is so much warmer in this city in Mexico than it is here...here it is cold and we generally wear layers.  A lot of my friends have cracked out their scarves to wear around the house--I am hoping to hold out until December when I can bring mine from home.)

And the beds in the hotel were so comfortable...Laying in bed in the morning with no need to get up early was heavenly...

I think I needed a chance to get away from here for a while.  And now that I'm back, I am feeling much more re-energized for moving into another week.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario