Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

sábado, 27 de agosto de 2011

fleas and technology

Sitting on my bed tonight while typing a text message, I looked down and saw a little speck of black moving about near the ankle of my pants.  Was it...could it be....why yes!  I grabbed it between my fingers.  It was a flea!  I jumped to my feet in victory, my fingers held aloft and burst out of my room into the hallway.  Making a dash for the bathroom, I went to the sink, knowing from prior experience that their hard outer shell and stellar jumping abilities make these bugs incredibily hard to destroy.  So I put my fingers under running water and watched the little bug get washed away.  (I have to admit, I also did a bit of gloating.  It's not that often I get to rid myself of their powers so easily.  It was a small victory, and I am sure the ongoing conflict between our kinds is not over, but at least for now, for just today, I was able to celebrate a bit and look forward to a bite-free future--the day when a babe will be able to put his hand down a cobra's nest without getting bitten, the day when lions and lambs will lie down together in harmony...and the day when fleas can share my bed and be quite welcome.  I wonder what the fleas will feed on then...apple juice, maybe?)

Speaking of text messages, though, I have been amazed at how much I am learning about technology as a result of being in Guatemala.  Things I have learned since coming here:

How to send a text message (though I only know how to reply to them--I still haven't figured out how to send one to someone first)
How to download programs
How to connect to wireless internet
How to skype and use the internet for phone calls (much cheaper than calling people other ways)
How to burn a CD

There may be more, but that list is just a start.  I guess I'm finally coming into the 21st century.  (That is what century we're in now, isn't it? :-)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario