Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

lunes, 12 de septiembre de 2011

Spanglish...

Spanish has been getting touchy the past few weeks.  I can go from needing to speak in broken sentences accompanied by miming to get my point across in Spanish to accidentally switching to Spanish when I'm trying to speak in English.  I think all the switching back and forth between the two languages combined with always seeming to have eight or nine things on my mind at any given time is leading to some short-circuits in the spoken-language part of my brain.  On any given day I email in English, listen to music in either Spanish or English, talk to my host family in Spanish, speak English with other teachers, then switch to Spanish when I go out into the community.  Then, with my students, I respond in whatever language they use to speak to me.  Since I am focusing mostly on reading and grammar with them, I do a lot of my explanations in English (since I can explain grammar more clearly that way and they seem to understand it better, too).  But the texts we are reading are in Spanish.  So it has been a lot of going back and forth.  I am hoping this is an adaptation process and my brain will eventually get used to things.  I guess we'll see. :-)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario