Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

martes, 13 de septiembre de 2011

Sometimes I feel like life is barreling along at the speed of light, and all I can do is hold on to something that is moving along with me--otherwise I'll be torn apart...

I never understood that before.  I always thought I could hold on to something stationary and that would be okay.  But holding on to something stationary doesn't work when you are the one who is always moving.

And I don't mean moving geographically, here.  I mean when life is spinning out of control, flinging you out, once again, from your comfort zone...

I used to think I could cling to myself and force the calm.  That really didn't work.  But even now, I find myself wanting to turn back to clinging to bad habits.  Force the calm even though I feel like I'm barreling along at the speed of light...

But my physics teacher said it quite well when he explained to us why the fly gets squished and the car doesn't...it all has to do with change of velocity.  The fly experiences the greatest change in speed and direction, and it all comes about so suddenly...

Maybe it's that way for me.  Maybe it doesn't work to cling to the externals I deem to be restful, those pitiful attempts to remind myself I have life entirely under control because those things aren't moving with me.  Those things don't really bring the calm.

Maybe the better option is just to continue to pray for wisdom.  Move with the changes instead of trying so hard to make them stop.  Grow with them.  Develop with them.  Learn to be within the changes.

And maybe when I'm moving with the changes I'll never even notice how fast they're moving me.  Going with the flow is often the easiest place to be...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario