Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

jueves, 29 de septiembre de 2011

Living in the Moment...

I stressed myself out earlier today.  I realized as I was on elementary lunch duty that I had missed out on almost all of the first half of the day.  Sure, I did my work.  I was physically there.  But I was withdrawn, not connected...unaware of so much of what was really going on around me.  And why did I do this?  Upon further reflection, I realized it was because I don't have all the answers for what might happen in the next twenty years. 

That's right.  Twenty years.

As if I might have any way of knowing what might happen between now and then.  Twenty years is a long time.  I didn't even know I was coming here until the end of June.  And that was totally unexpected...

And there I was beating myself up because I didn't have a solid plan for twenty or so years still to come...

That's when I realized I needed to intentionally pull my mind back into the here and now. 

The light flickering on the leaves...

A bug dancing in the grass...

The breeze on my face...

The arc of a football...

The sun on my shoulders...

Back to all the joys of a bright September day.

And you know what?  It worked.  The rest of the day went incredibly well.  I went from dragging myself from one duty to the next to actually living them and enjoying them.

The next twenty years can take care of themselves.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario