Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

sábado, 14 de abril de 2012

Thankfulness...

As I am heading into a time of transition, down to the last few weeks of the school year, I've decided to start a list of things I am thankful for here in Guatemala--one for each day.  Yesterday's item was:

Day 1--I am thankful for the ready availability of ice cream.  Almost every city block has either an actual ice cream store or a tienda with a deep freezer filled with Sarita brand ice cream.  Cremosas, yogurt, ice cream sandwiches the flavor of cheesecake... The strange thing is, I'm not that big of a fan of ice cream when I'm in the United States, but here now, at this time of year, there is something about it that definitely hits the spot.  So helado is my choice for "Thankfulness Item #1."

Day 2--Tamales.  Paches de papa or tamales de arroz... We had tamales for dinner tonight.  The rice and chicken mixture covered with a brown, slightly spicy sauce and a sliver of red pepper.  Served, as always, in a neatly folded banana leaf...and, of course, accompanied by bread in a bag from Xelapan (but thankfulness for Xelapan I'll leave for another day--it is far too deserving of an entry all its own). 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario