Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

domingo, 8 de abril de 2012

Easter

Out of all the holidays, it is hardest for me to be outside the country for Easter.  Perhaps Christmas would come close to that, but I have yet to be away for that particular holiday.

Easter, for me, involves getting together with relatives and going to a sunrise service at the Lutheran church...(or whatever other church is available).  This Sunday, I went to mass.  It was nice.  The church was so full there were people in the aisles, and the wall behind the altar was draped with yellow fabric, a color of celebration.

It is interesting to see how things are done here, but the closer I get to June, the more I find myself looking forward to home.  It's a tug-of-war, this focusing on the now to appreciate each moment and do what needs to be done right here and now while simultaneously becoming more and more anxious to return to the United States.  Less than two months to go...

I read an article on culture shock recently, and it spoke about the emotions involved in coming home--pulling away emotionally in preparation for letting go while still having to live and work in that country.  The truth of the matter is, I don't dislike Guatemala.  It's just that, as much as I love it, there are many times where I would just even more rather be going home.  I'm ready.  Not completely--there is still a lot that needs to be done before I'll be ready to actually go home, but I'm ready to begin the process of letting this part of my life go.  I'm ready to move forward and find out what is coming up ahead.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario