Thoughts on foreign travel interspersed with experiences and the incredible love of God.

miércoles, 15 de febrero de 2012

Poco a poco...

Little by little...

Things to be thankful for:

I had more energy today.  Enough to break into a happy dance when I realized I had a little energy to spare this morning.  Made it through the school day without feeling completely wiped out.  Even went for a short walk this afternoon--to the park and back.  I took it slow...was a lot more tired walking home than when leaving, but still, I was able to walk to the park at normal speed (well, relatively speaking anyway...)

The light in my room stopped working, but the family loaned me a lamp.  (I have a flashlight, too...kind of handy to have setting on the nightstand when you're living in Guatemala...)

It will be two weeks tomorrow since the first day I got sick...I guess I can be thankful I at least now know what it is, have medication for it, and was able to get a shot that kept me from getting the full-blown thing...only one more week until the date when I MIGHT be over it.  I might need to circle that date on the calendar, the day when I might receive news of a clean bill of health...

I've realized I've developed a whiny attitude.  I may not verbalize it, but I definitely feel it inside.  Maybe it's a lesson in patience...I'm not really sure.  I definitely get impatient...wondering why it's taking so long for my body to recover.  You're on antibiotics, bounce back already...  And then wondering why I am having so much trouble over something that is "nothing, really..."  Just a minor case of typhoid.  Not the real thing...  Until I tell people what I have and they freak out on me...like my Guatemalan students who have doctors for parents...

Maybe I need to cut myself some slack and just wait to recover.  I think I try to push the process along, thinking there is a certain amount of time in which I should recover.

But I will get better. 

As a friend told me recently, it's poco a poco...necesita paciencia.

Oh, and I am thankful I didn't electrocute myself last weekend.  Word to the wise: When turning off the switch for the hot water in the shower, be careful to touch only the outer part of the switch; don't allow your thumb to make contact with the base.  Perhaps by saying "electrocute" I exaggerate, but there was more electricity there than I am comfortable with.  I guess that would explain why someone I know once referred to this kind of shower as the "widow maker." 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario